St Michael’s is the oldest girls’ school North of the Orange River. It was founded by Bishop Webb in 1874, and in the same year, the first Mother Superior, Sister Emma, and five volunteers arrived in Bloemfontein to become the Community of Saint Michael and all Angels. Henrietta Stockdale, who became a famous member of the nursing fraternity in this country, was among these. Her statue stands in the grounds of St Cyprian’s Cathedral in Kimberley. The school was originally built on the western boundary of Bloemfontein, where the Sand du Plessis Theatre now stands, in Markgraaff Street.
The school moved to its present site in Brandwag in 1970. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Frederick Amoore. Many precious relics were also transferred and can be seen in the archives, in the chapel and in and around the school complex. In 1975, Rev Mother Mary Ruth and the sisters retired from their administrative, academic and hostel duties in the school. Currently, governance is vested in the school parent community represented by an elected Board of Governors as School Governing Body.
St Michael’s is a school with a Christian foundation and under its own constitution and in response to the expectations of its educators, learners and parents, creates an environment for learning spiritual values that are not merely information about religion in general, but specifically Christian. It has an Anglican tradition with an Anglican Chaplain and a Chapel where worship services are conducted regularly. The Bishop of the Diocese of the Free State is also the School Visitor and serves on the school Board of Governors.
School archives can be viewed on request.